Help by sharing this information April 21, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Pakistan June 2, 2021 Find out more RSF_en News Receive email alerts News PakistanAsia – Pacific News Reporters Without Borders is shocked by the murder of the widow of Hayatullah Khan, a journalist slain last year. She was killed in the early hours of today by a bomb planted next to her bedroom outside her home in Mir Ali, in the Tribal Area of North Waziristan.Her five children, aged 2 to 10, who were sleeping in an adjoining bedroom, were not injured by the blast. A school teacher, Khan’s widow had been active in protesting against his abduction and murder six months later.“We call on the authorities in Islamabad and in the Tribal Areas to investigate this barbarous killing,” Reporters Without Borders said. “For the time being, it is not easy to know the motives for the bombing, which has bereaved this family for the second time. Hayatullah Khan’s murderers, whom the authorities never tried to identify, may have felt the need to eliminate an irritating witness.”The slain journalist’s brother, Ehsanullah Khan, confirmed his sister-in-law’s death to Reporters Without Borders. “She was sleeping on the floor in her bedroom while her five children were in another bedroom,” he said. “The bomb exploded at the foot of the wall of her bedroom.”He accused those who killed his brother of being behind his sister-in-law’s death. In the past, he has accused Pakistani military intelligence of being involved in his brother’s abduction, something the government always denied. But the authorities never published the findings of a Peshawar judge’s investigation.Ehsanullah Khan said his sister-in-law had received threats, which he had reported to former information minister Muhammad Ali Durani. But the authorities never took any measures to protect her.Hayatullah Khan’s bullet-riddled body was found six months after he was kidnapped in December 2005. Employed by the European Press Photo Agency (EPA) and several Pakistani media, he had – shortly before his abduction – proved that an Al-Qaeda chief had been killed in the Tribal Areas by a US missile. Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder to go further PakistanAsia – Pacific Organisation November 17, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Slain tribal area journalist’s widow murdered Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists News January 28, 2021 Find out more
CommentsFacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail Public Gives Feedback To Proposed Vectren ProjectsJULY 11TH, 2018 JEFF GOLDBERG EVANSVILLE, INDIANAWhen Vectren CEO announced the company’s plan to move into more energy efficient power generation he called it “the biggest project the company has ever taken on.”The proposed project would mostly end the company’s reliance on coal. The plan calls for a new 865-megawatt natural gas plant that would sit on Vectren’s current A.B. Brown site. That plant and a 50-megawatt solar field would make up for 4 out of 5 coal-fired plants the company currently uses. With those four retired the company would also retrofit the fifth plant in Warrick County.Before any of those changes can go into effect Vectren needs approval from the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission. Vectren has already given testimony and exhibits to the IURC and on Wednesday night it was the public’s time to testify.Those who wished to speak at a public feedback forum were sworn in just like a normal court case. Their testimony will be used down the line as the IURC forms their final decisions about the projects.The committee was hearing feedback about the big natural gas plant the retrofitting of the Warrick County coal plant and some rate increases that may come along with the project. The solar project is a different case.There were plenty of environmentalists on hand, giving testimony that this plant doesn’t go far enough to be energy efficient. They want even more renewables to power the Vectren’s 145,000 customers.Interestingly enough, the other folks testifying against this project were those with coal in mind. Those folks also want the project to fail so the coal-fired plants can stay open.Those with business interests directly related to the project we’re the ones speaking for the project. A man saying he represents the local builders guild was for the project because he wants his construction workers to help construct the new plant.There were no final decisions made tonight. There is still a chance to have your voice heard in the matter. If you’re a Vectren ratepayer and want to submit testimony it can still be done until August 3rd. It can be done online at www.IN.gov/OUCC by clicking the “Contact Us” link. You can send in your comments by email at [email protected] It can also be done by fax at (317) 232-5923.If regular mail is your thing comments can be sent by mail to:Indiana office of Utility Consumer CounselorConsumer Services Staff115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 SouthIndianapolis, IN 46204
New living accommodations for Saint Mary’s seniors will be available next year, as Regina South will be opened exclusively as on-campus housing for seniors. Janielle Tchakerian, director of Residence Life and Community Standards at Saint Mary’s, said the College is “very excited” to offer this opportunity to the students. “It’s a privilege for their senior year,” she said. The updates to the residence hall include 36 available single rooms, a visitation policy to match that of Opus Hall, the only other senior-exclusive residence on campus, a reduced meal plan requirement and the acceptance of pets weighing under 30 pounds. “For some students it’s a great comfort,” Tchakerian said. “It allows them to bring a family pet from home to live with them in their last year.” Tchakerian said to accommodate students’ pets, the South courtyard will become a “pet friendly” yard. “We know that they can’t just be cooped up inside their rooms,” she said. She said she has already seen a positive response from rising seniors during two information sessions, some of which have expressed interest in rooming with pets such as cats, dogs, rabbits and hedgehogs. In addition to allowing pets, the new Regina South will also offer seniors more space. Each of the 36 rooms will be offered as a single, including rooms that were previously offered as quads or doubles. Regular-sized singles will be parceled together as a two-room suite, Tchakerian said. The building that used to house the smallest singles on campus will now house the largest, she said. Each floor will have a microwave and refrigerator available, as well as a shared single-room for storage. “For a lot of our students, moving off-campus loses financial aid,” Tchakerian said. “We wanted to make an affordable option on campus. Because Regina South is [currently] not occupied, we decided to look at it and see if we could make it more attractive for our rising seniors.” There will be a special room selection for seniors on Feb. 1, during which names will be drawn in a lottery first for Opus housing, then for Regina South, following the same process. “So they don’t have to wait until April to find out where they are going to live,” Tchakerian said. “Those students who might be on the fence about living off-campus will know.” The class of 2013 will be the first to try out the new arrangement and policies regarding pets. “The most attractive part of Regina South is the new rooming and meal plan,” Tchakerian said. “This is a great compromise in meeting [students’] needs.”
SACRAMENTO – Members of the Democratic-controlled Legislature set the stage Saturday night for the first on-time passage of California’s budget in 20 years, but Republicans warned that problems with the spending plan may doom the vote. The Legislature’s powerful budget conference committee voted 4-2, along party lines, to close out discussion on a compromise version of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s proposed $131.1 billion spending plan. The move sends to the full Assembly and Senate a budget, for the fiscal year beginning July 1, that lacks some of the core components Schwarzenegger trumpeted when releasing the plan last month. For example, instead of spending $1 billion of a tax windfall to pay off early a bond used to balance past budgets, Democrats propose putting the money in a fund that could be used to pay other costs next year. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Democrats also rewrote the governor’s proposed budget to include money to expand children’s health care programs, cut some college tuition fees and give local school districts more say in how education dollars are spent. Schwarzenegger had wanted to earmark some of the money to restore music, art, physical education and other programs that had been cut in recent years. The budget also lacks money for public safety programs and preschool expansion that the governor had proposed. It was unclear Saturday how much the total new budget would be. “It’s done. The Democrat majorities in the Assembly and Senate have gotten their wish lists reconciled,” said Assemblyman Rick Keene, R-Chico, one of the two Republicans on the committee. “The budget, as is, goes backward on making progress on the deficit. We have no choice but to vote against it.” Both houses are expected to vote on the budget Thursday, the constitutional deadline to pass the budget. Lawmakers have failed to meet the June 15 deadline since 1986. Under state law, Schwarzenegger must sign the budget by July 1, but the last time a governor did so was in 2000. Senate Budget Chair Wesley Chesbro, D-Arcata, was more optimistic about this budget’s prospects. “Compared to the previous four years, we are much closer than we have been at this stage. The conference committee put many disagreements behind us and many issues to bed,” Chesbro said. “There is still the need for additional negotiations, but I see a spirit of cooperation on both sides to get it done.” H.D. Palmer, spokesman for the governor’s finance department, said the administration would spend the next few days evaluating the committee’s changes and their potential effect on the state’s bottom line. “I can say the committee did not address preschool and public safety programs that are important to the governor,” Palmer said. “It’s our hope that we will have a package that reflects the governor’s priorities that we can pass on an on-time basis.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Sir Alex Ferguson had little sympathy for Fernando Torres following the Chelsea striker’s controversial sending-off against Manchester United.Torres was given a second yellow card after being adjudged to have dived, despite the Spaniard appearing to have been fouled by Jonny Evans.But the United manager said: “The decision the referee has to make is whether the striker has chosen to go down.“He was through on goal – I don’t know why he has gone down. I think it’s his own fault.“It’s been 10 years since we have won down here. We had a good record until Jose [Mourinho] came along and spoiled the party.“We’ve never got breaks down here and had some terrible decisions against us in the last few years.“But today we have got a little break for the goal – Chicharito may have been offside.”Evans also suggested that Torres deserved to be dismissed.Speaking to Sky Sports after his team’s 3-2 win, the defender said: “At the time I didn’t feel like I’d made contact.“I’ve seen it again and there was contact, but not enough to bring him down. I think the referee has made the right decision to send him off.”More reaction to follow later.See also:Hernandez admits he was offsideControversy as nine-man Chelsea loseAngry Chelsea boss blasts ClattenburgChelsea v Man Utd player ratingsFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Test your knowledge by seeing how many of these five QPR-related questions you can answer correctly.[wp-simple-survey-102] 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
On-loan goalkeeper Joe Lewis is handed his Fulham debut for the League Cup third-round tie against Stoke City at Craven Cottage.As expected, Whites boss Kit Symons has made changes for the game, leaving out the likes of Jamie O’Hara and Tom Cairney. Summer signing Sakari Mattila makes his full debut, while Cauley Woodrow comes in for Moussa Dembele.Stoke, meanwhile, are without Mame Biram Diouf, who has a hamstring problem.Bojan, who returned to action at the weekend following a knee injury, is also absent.Ex-Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell starts against his former club.Fulham: Lewis, Richards, Stearman, Burn, Ream, Christensen, Mattila, Kacaniklic, Pringle, McCormack, Woodrow.Subs: Lonergan, Kavanagh, Evans, Hyndman, Bodurov, Tunnicliffe, Dembele.Stoke: Given; Bardsley, Wilson, Wollscheid, Pieters; Sidwell, Cameron; Odemwingie, Ireland, Afellay; Crouch.Subs: Haugaard; Muniesa, Johnson, Arnautovic, Joselu, Van Ginkel, Shaqiri.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Jerry HagstromDTN Political CorrespondentWASHINGTON (DTN) — Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said late Wednesday that a second trade aid package for farmers may total $15 billion to $20 billion, the latter figure $5 billion higher than President Donald Trump has suggested.In a call to reporters from South Korea, Perdue said that the $15 billion to $20 billion is the “early estimate” that USDA has made regarding lost export sales since China imposed tariffs on U.S. farm products in retaliation for tariffs that the Trump administration imposed on Chinese products.Perdue said that USDA would calculate “the legally defensible trade damage done to our producers,” give that estimate to Trump and would be “prepared to defend those amounts” to the World Trade Organization, where the United States could face charges that it has violated rules on subsidies.Perdue said he could not comment on whether the formula for providing payments to farmers would be different from the last package, in which soybean growers got $1.65 per bushel, corn growers got one cent per bushel and wheat growers got 14 cents.USDA said at the time that the level for each commodity was based on export losses and calculated with an eye toward not violating WTO rules. Corn and wheat growers complained, however, and are lobbying the administration for a different formula in the second package.Perdue said USDA is “operating conceptually” at Trump’s direction. He said he believes the last package “went well” but realizes that some farmers were not happy and said the administration would try to learn from that experience and improve on it.Perdue also said that, although Trump has talked about using a portion of tariff receipts to pay for the aid, he believes that the money will come from the Commodity Credit Corporation, as it did last time.Perdue said he is keeping Congress informed about the development of the package. He said the administration is “studying the text” of the supplemental disaster aid bill moving through Congress “to see if there is an opportunity to address trade mitigation,” but was not clear about whether the administration would need funding from Congress to make the payments.The CCC can spend $30 billion per year, and it is not known whether the CCC is bumping up against its spending cap this late in the fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30. Perdue said that, in any case, he should keep Congress informed because members are the “pursekeepers.”The secretary also hinted that one reason the talks with China broke down last week was that China had reneged on previous agreements to buy certain levels of U.S. commodities. Perdue said that one of the purposes of the farm trade aid package is to make it clear to Beijing that Chinese negotiators cannot use “the impact” on U.S. farmers in the negotiations.Jerry Hagstrom can be reached at [email protected] him on Twitter @hagstromreport(CC/AG)© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.
Medical services across Assam were affected on Tuesday as doctors resorted to a 24-hour “withdrawal of non-emergency medical services” to protest against the lynching of a 73-year-old colleague by a mob of tea plantation workers in Jorhat on Saturday.The protest against the killing of Deben Dutta in eastern Assam’s Teok Tea Estate was led by the Assam unit of Indian Medical Association (IMA). Rallies and sit-insDoctors and medical students took out rallies and held sit-ins while demanding security for medical practitioners at their workplaces.Health officials said a few doctors attended to only emergency cases in six government-run medical college and hospitals, civil hospitals, family referral units and primary health centres. The IMA had on Monday demanded exemplary punishment for the plantation workers who killed Dr. Dutta and tighter security at all health establishments, specifically those in the tea estates. Dr. Dutta was thrashed by some workers after a youth, Somra Majhi, died in the estate hospital. The police rescued the seriously injured doctor and rushed him to a local hospital, from where he was referred to the Jorhat Medical College and Hospital. He later succumbed to his injuries.The police said so far 30 people have been arrested in the case and the situation in the tea estate was under control. Inspector General of Police Deepak Kedia said 20 of the arrested were in judicial custody. “Eight more are being interrogated,” he added.Seeks written commitmentMeanwhile, the IMA has set September 5 as the deadline for the Assam Branch Indian Tea Association to give a written assurance on its demand for security for doctors working in tea gardens failing which it has threatened to withdraw all doctors from estates located across Assam from September 6.Assam has more than 800 large tea estates and most of them have on-site healthcare facilities.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.