Western Bureau:Faulkland SC secured their first-ever victory in the Western Confederation Super League, outclassing Wadadah FC 4-1 in an early game of a double-header at Jarrett Park on Saturday.Goals were at a premium during first-half action with the teams each scoring before the break, but the floodgates were flung open for the Kenneth Watson-coached team, resulting in them easing to the lopsided win in only their second game of the season.Wadadah, said to be in transition, fielded several high-school players, and it proved a strategically sound move in the 18th minute, when Michael McLeod struck for a 1-0 lead.Midfielder Neil Clarke then found the equaliser in the 34th minute for Faulkland and the game was effectively won from there onward.Husana Johnson (76th), Dane Franklyn (87th- minute penalty kick) and a Deshane Beckford superb strike in time added on after 90 minutes completed the come-back victory.Gregory Palmer, Faulkland’s team manager, said his team looked good while getting the win and that they have the potential to become a special team in their debut season.”This squad is a very young one….We have these players now for several years coming through the St James league, and now we are here testing our wits against the more traditional clubs,” said Palmer.”This is a great win; coming from a goal down to win 4-1 is a good sign. We will take that any day,” Palmer said.The win was all that more special, having lost 0-1 to Sandals South Coast earlier. in that match, they had several opportunities to score but failed to convert, and Palmer said they worked on that aspect in training.”We did the hard work in training and it paid off in a real way for us. It’s a good start to the season and we hope to keep it going,” he said.Wadadah grabbed the lead in spectacular fashion, as McLeod’s acrobatic volley flew into the net. However, they never threatened the Faulkland goal thereafter.”Losing 4-1 can never be to our liking. It’s a learning curve for many of our players. It is early days, but our intention is really to give some experience to our young players,” said Donovan Ricketts, the Wadadah coach.Faulkland move to three points in the standings, while Wadadah remained on one point, courtesy of one draw and the loss.
De Bruyne, 27, was key as City hit 100 points last season but has twice been sidelined with knee problems so far this season as Liverpool have stolen ahead of Guardiola’s side in the title race.“I said many times how important Kevin is for us. Without him, last season would maybe not have been possible,” insisted the City manager after Sunday’s Cup stroll.“So far we have done incredible in terms of results, but we have an opponent (Liverpool) that has done better.“But they are an opponent that has done better than us without him.”De Bruyne missed City’s previous two games due to a muscle injury, including the 2-1 win over Liverpool on Thursday that saw City close to within four points of Jurgen Klopp’s table-toppers.And Guardiola believes a City side with De Bruyne can overhaul that gap.“Now he is back he will be fresh in the mind and the legs, and is going to help give us extra creativity in the last third, in the fight. Today he was our captain and he showed us why.”City overwhelmed Championship club Rotherham, with Raheem Sterling, Phil Foden and a Semi Ajayi own goal putting them 3-0 up at half-time before Gabriel Jesus, Riyad Mahrez, Nicolas Otamendi and Leroy Sane all scored after the break.“We took (it) seriously. We do what we have to do to become a great, great club,” said Guardiola.“The great clubs don’t choose competitions, don’t choose games. Every game you have to do your job and we did amazingly again.”0Shares0000(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Main man: Kevin De Bruyne’s return will be a huge boost to Manchester City’s defence of the Premier League title, according to manager Pep Guardiola © AFP / Oli SCARFFMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Jan 7 – Pep Guardiola has backed a fit-again Kevin De Bruyne to give Manchester City an extra edge as they look to defend their Premier League title from an assault from leaders Liverpool.The Belgium playmaker marked his latest return from injury with a commanding display as City hammered second-tier Rotherham 7-0 in the third round of the FA Cup at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Starting today, parts of East First Street in Boyle Heights will be temporarily closed through Friday to accommodate Metro Gold Line construction. County crews will be closing First Street between Lorena and Evergreen streets between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to install and rearrange power poles and complete circuits for the Eastside light rail. Detours will be set up for westbound traffic at Lorena Street, and for eastbound traffic at Fresno Street. Overnight between 7 p.m. and 6 p.m., work on handicap ramps will have First Street closed between Lorena and Indiana streets, and northbound Indiana closed between Cheesebroughs Lane and Gleason Avenue. Traffic on East First Street will be funneled into one lane when no work is being done.
1 Zlatan Ibrahimovi? won’t be short of options when his contract expires in the summer.The Sweden international will become a free agent at the end of the season having confirmed, after Paris Saint-Germain wrapped up the Ligue 1 title with eight games to spare, that he won’t be extending his stay in the French capital.And, the latest reports claim the striker is eyeing a move to London, with it stated that Arsenal have been offered his signature.Arsene Wenger has since spoken of his surprise at the speculation, but that hasn’t stopped supporters from getting a little excited… Zlatan Ibrahimovic will become a free agent in the summer
Six fishermen were rescued off the coast of Inishowen last night when their boat began taking on water.The RNLI responded to the call off Inishowen.The crew were on board a commercial crabbing vessel two miles off Dunree when the water began to come on board at about 3.15am.The crew made an emergency call and two lifeboats from the RNLI based in Buncrana and the rescue helicopter 118 from Sligo rushed to the scene. Three members of the RNLI boarded the vessel and using a salvage pump, they managed to get the water from the boat and began to tow the vessel.All the fishermen were wearing lifejackets and had the liferaft ready to be deployed.A spokesman for the RNLI said there were no injuries.Once the boat was stabilised, the lifeboat escorted the vessel safely back to shore at Rathmullan where it arrived at seven o’clock this morning. Following the four hour operation, Mark Barnett, Lough Swilly RNLI Coxswain said: ‘The six fishermen deserve to be commended for their quick actions in the early hours of this morning. They called for help once they got into difficultly and had their life raft ready if needed in an emergency. The boat had taken on a considerable amount of water but thankfully our crew was able to assist and avoid the vessel from sinking and assist the men safely back to shore.’ SIX CREW RESCUED FROM STRICKEN VESSEL OFF COAST OF DONEGAL was last modified: September 8th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalDunreehelicopterInishowenrescueRNLI
GARDAI have spoken to a number of teenagers in relation to the death of Erin Gallagher, the 13-year Co Donegal schoolgirl who took her own life at the weekend.It’s understood the teenagers presented themselves to Gardai accompanied by guardians today.Erin, who would have been 14 next week, will be laid to rest after a Funeral Mass at St Mary’s Church in Stranorlar. It’s understood health authorities and gardai are keen to calm a growing anger in the Twin Towns over the death of the Finn Valley College pupil.They are also counselling all pupils at the school to try to prevent more cases.Many students are hoping they can take part in a silent march and vigil opposing bullying next Monday.The Erin Gallagher Memorial Walk will take place on her 14th birthday. It’s understood interviews with a number of teenagers have taken place as part of routine investigations by gardai on behalf of the coroner’s office.The children’s families are said to be extremely distressed and very fearful after Erin’s death. TRAGIC ERIN DEATH: GARDAI CARRY OUT INTERVIEWS WITH TEENAGERS was last modified: October 31st, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Turin Olympic organizers are considering sweeping cutbacks for next year’s Winter Games in Italy because of a budget shortfall that could reach $63.72 million. The Italian government is proposing a $19.24 million cut in Olympic spending, adding to an existing gap of $44.48 million. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Wake Forest cornerback Kevin Patterson had an appendectomy and could miss up to three weeks. Patterson was admitted to a hospital Monday night after experiencing abdominal pain, coach Jim Grobe said. The New Orleans Bowl is moving from the damaged Louisiana Superdome to Cajun Field on the campus of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The Dec. 20 game matches the Sun Belt Conference champion against a Conference USA opponent. HORSE RACING: Hurricane Run, winner of the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, won’t run in the Breeders’ Cup because of a cough. SOCCER: Qatar is donating $6 million to help build a soccer stadium for a mixed Arab-Jewish team, the first such funding by an Arab state for any town inside Israel. The pledge comes amid efforts to improve ties between the Arab world and Israel after last month’s withdrawal from the Gaza Strip. At least 60 people were injured when thousands of people stormed an already packed soccer stadium in northern Brazil to watch the national team train for a World Cup qualifying match against Venezuela. The incident occurred at Mangueirao stadium in the city of Belem, about 1,900 miles north of Sao Paulo in the state of Para. Most of the 60 people injured were treated at the stadium’s medical facilities and released shortly afterward, according to a statement issued by the state government. Turin organizing committee CEO Cesare Vaciago listed possible cuts in personnel, advertising, free public transport, cleaning and maintenance for the Feb. 10-26 games and the Paralympics which follow in March. He stressed the cuts would not involve security, which is being paid for by the Interior Ministry. COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Kyle Ambrogi, a senior running back for Penn football team, committed suicide on Monday, a Penn spokeswoman said. Ambrogi scored two touchdowns in Saturday’s 53-7 victory over Bucknell. COLLEGE BASKETBALL: A gay rights advocacy group has accused Penn State women’s basketball coach Rene Portland of forcing a player to transfer earlier this year out of bias against lesbians. The National Center for Lesbian Rights asked president Graham Spanier for a meeting to discuss Portland’s policies and the transfer of former player Jennifer Harris. MOTOR SPORTS: The Champ Car World Series will switch from the Lola chassis to the American-built Panoz in 2007 to reduce costs and attempt to attract additional teams. Built by Elan Motorsports Technologies of Braselton, Ga., the Panoz is one of the two chassis now used in the rival Indy Racing League, whose contracts with Elan and Italian manufacturer Dallara expire after the 2006 season. The initial agreement between Elan and Champ Car will run for three seasons, series president Steve Johnson said. PASSINGS: Angelo Argea, who spent two decades on the bag for Jack Nicklaus and became an iconic figure among caddies for his shock of silver hair, died of liver cancer. He was 75. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Seamus Coleman has been blasted for a challenge on Man City star Raheem Sterling – which has been described by some as a potential ‘leg-breaker’. Coleman badly mistimed a challenge on Sterling during the first-half of a fascinating duel between the pair in yesterday’s Premier League clash.League leaders City were held by Everton, but a lot of the post-match analysis focused on Coleman’s tackle. Many pundits were amazed that Coleman not only escaped without getting a red card, but that he didn’t even get a yellow card.Man City supporters vented their fury at the challenge on Twitter.Ian McCourt posted, “Coleman is a very lucky boy to be on the pitch. He has absolutely hammered the Sterling. German commentary aghast at tackle.”Shane Burns posted, “My mind is boggling how Coleman hasn’t been booked let alone sent off. Over the top onto his ankle causing Sterling’s leg to bend. Mental.” Johnny Heavey posted, “That’s an atrocious tackle from Coleman on Sterling. It’s a leg breaker. Not even a yellow? It looked terrible at normal speed.”Coleman blasted for horror challenge on Man City star was last modified: October 16th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
The Shandon Hotel & Spa are excited to announce the opening of Marbles Restaurant on Saturday 17th March 2018, exactly two years since the hotel celebrated their opening celebration which was on the 17th March 2016.17th March is a special day not only for the hotel but for the McCarthy Family, the Managing Director & Proprietor Warren McCarthy chose the opening celebration date in honour of his father, Michael McCarthy who celebrates his birthday on St Patrick’s day.The management identified a short time ago that many diners preferred the bar because of the views, so based on that, Warren (MD) identified an unused area in the property that would work really well for a new restaurant. Having a new restaurant and lounge bar on the one level above the main bar & reception area means that the hotel can host events, weddings and leisure guests simultaneously with supreme comfort & ambience for each market segment.The introduction of the new restaurant means that the current function room, the McCarthy Suite is freed up allowing for more weddings and in addition to this, the 18 newly constructed bedrooms which will be ready in July 2018 will compliment the resorts ability to host both markets, bringing the total bedrooms to 68.Marbles Restaurant is named after Marble Hill Beach which is visible from the new restaurant. Marble Hill Beach is a short stroll from the hotel and is renowned for its beauty and boasts excellent waves making it a perfect beach to enjoy surfing or various water sports.The new restaurant is located above the reception and lobby area of the hotel which allows for the most spectacular views over Sheephaven Bay. Konrad Palys, Manager of Marbles Restaurant has stated that he and his team have been busy training on service excellence, he stated that his guests will be amazed by their experience in Marbles, he is committed to putting Marbles on the map nationally as one of Ireland’s top restaurants.Executive Chef Anthony Finn is excited to allow restaurant Head Chef Josie Gallagher creative freedom when it comes to each dish in Marbles.Anthony confirmed that the final ‘tweak’s’ have been done to the menu and he is very proud to say that each dish tastes as good as it is presented.Many dates are already sold out for Marbles Restaurant, so early booking is advisable for residents and non-residents.For more information please call us 074-9136137 or email email@example.com Featured image caption: L-R Josie, Head Chef Restaurant, Anthony, Executive Chef & Bernard Head Chef Bar.Shandon chefs put finishing touches to menu of highly-anticipated Marbles Restaurant was last modified: February 25th, 2018 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:marbles restaurantshandon hotelsheephaven bay
Deputy Charlie McConalogue has called on the Government to ensure that a MICA redress scheme is introduced next month.Deputy McConalogue made the call after Minister English confirmed to him in the Dáil that the Government will be in a position to outline its approach to the long-standing issue next month.“A redress scheme is the only viable option for homeowners affected by MICA. The Government has continually dragged its heels on this issue but it must step up to the mark and end this living nightmare for those affected, by introducing a redress scheme”, said Deputy McConalogue. “Families are living in homes that are crumbling around them. Many have been forced to leave their houses because they are unsafe, while others have had no other option but to carry out works at huge expense. Despite receiving no support from government, the majority of these homeowners have continued to pay their mortgages, even though their homes have been deemed unliveable.“The State has already set a precedent when it intervened for pyrite affected homes in the east of the country. We need to see a similar redress scheme established to compensate people whose homes have been affected by MICA. This saga has been ongoing for long enough, we need the government to take action at this point.“Those affected will accept nothing less than a redress scheme and I will continue to press this with the Government on their behalf.”Redress Scheme is only option for MICA affected homes – McConalogue was last modified: March 13th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)